Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Healthy Rice Pudding

Healthy rice pudding, my style of comfort food without guilt. I have a feeling rice pudding is going to be the next cupcake craze, there is already a little shop down the street that is soley rice pudding with 35 different flavors (all gluten free!). I never knew there were flavor options with rice pudding. My roommate and I stopped to sample, but in the end, I still prefer traditional rice pudding.

Why not use brown rice you ask? It doesn't absorb the liquid the same way and leaves the pudding runny. Believe me, I've tried. Sometimes, you have to suck it up and use the white rice. But rest assured, there is no added white sugar and very little fat here.

           
Ingredients 
1 ¾ cups water 
1 cup Carolina raw rice       
1/2-cup honey
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 tsp. Salt
2 quarts fat-free milk
1 well-beaten eggs
2 tsp. Gluten Free Vanilla

On medium high, add water and rice in large pot until water evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup of honey, butter, salt, and milk, cook on medium heat until thickens for 45-60 mins, uncovered. Stir very frequently.
Remove from the stove and add a tempered egg and another 1/4 cup of honey, stirring frequently. Reheat again until the right consistency and to ensure the egg is cooked.
Cool, uncovered or with paper towel and vented. Add vanilla and depending on your preference, add a sprinkling of either cinnamon or nutmeg.

This unfortunately does not freeze well.







No comments:

Post a Comment